Join us on Thursday March 5th from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM at the Maine Fishermen’s Forum for Shellfish Focus Day, sponsored by the Maine Department of Marine Resources.
8:30-8:40 Welcome and introduction
8:40-9:55 Interdisciplinary Approaches to Shellfish Conservation and Water Quality
- Maine Shellfish Learning Network
10:15-11:45 Applied Shellfish Science
- Quahog and American oyster aquaculture
- Does brushing work?
- Community clam culture
12:45-1:45 Emerging Environmental Risks
- Harmful algal blooms
- Shellfish diseases
- Public health risks related to animal sources
1:45-3:00 Community Outreach and Education to Support Shellfish Management
- Building capacity within and across communities to help manage the softshell clam fishery in a changing environment
- Update on the Shellfish Advisory Council
3:00-4:00 Social hour and poster session