Maine Fishermen’s Forum Wind Energy Seminar
Agenda for Thursday March 5
10:00 am – 10:15 am —Introduction and agenda
10:15 am – 11:30 am: Fisheries and Offshore Wind in the Gulf of Maine
· Renewable energy goals:
o What are our overall regional energy needs?
o Maine’s (and New England’s) renewable energy goals.
o Gulf of Maine wind resource, vs. land-based wind or other renewables.
o Overview of current development status (Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
task force, Maine Offshore Wind Initiative).
· Fisheries and wind co-existence:
Overview of fishery issues
· Floating technologies :
o Siting—installation, space occupied, mooring systems, fixed vs. floating turbines.
o Cabling—likely points of landfall, dredging/routing issues, potential “backbones.”
· 15-minute Q&A
11:30 am – 11:45 am —Break
11:45 am – 1:00 pm: What is coming and where can the fishing industry engage?
· What’s happening in Maine related to offshore wind?
o Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Task Force:
§ Identifying the best ocean sites for wind energy platforms.
§ Coordination among states.
o Maine’s Aqua Ventus project: status update, future plans.
· Permitting for Offshore Wind – State and federal:
o Federal BOEM process:
§ How NMFS is engaged in consultation.
o State Process:
§ State vs. federal waters:
· Aqua Ventus/Maine process, and how it differs from federal process.
· Cable routes from sea to shore - into Maine, or not into Maine.
· Progression of wind energy development in southern New England and the mid-Atlantic:
o What is the Responsible Offshore Development Alliance?
o What is happening in offshore wind to the south.
o Impacts and concerns of fishermen in those regions.
· Role of Fisheries Liaisons.
1:00 pm – 2:00 pm: Lunch
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm: What can we learn from experiences in other areas?
· Several panelists will speak of their experience with wind energy projects and firms. They’ll
relate the most important lessons, from a fisheries perspective, in how to engage in the
· The last hour of this session will be a moderated Q&A for the audience to ask questions
of any of the entire day’s seminar’s panelists.